Wow, y’all! 1995’s ultra-low budget Evil Dead-inspired, Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell is finally getting a proper release. Director, Shinichi Fukazawa created a near clone of Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead complete with similar gore and even some really great stop-motion cheese. It combines elements of both The Grudge together with Evil Dead to create a rollercoaster that flips off the rails within its first act and somehow manages to jump back on and stick the landing just in time for its bonkers finale.
Visual Vengeance has been on a roll of ultra-low budget, cult classic films that were previously very hard to acquire physically. These include this gem along with The Necro Files, L.A. AIDS Jabber and more.
Perhaps one of the most bonkers parts of the entire thing is that the writer and director of the film is also the star. In an insane move, Shinichi Fukazawa plays Shinji in the film. Essentially, this would be as if Sam Raimi had played Ash in Evil Dead. The role of Shinji is as physically demanding and off-the-wall as Ash’s to boot. Knowing that tidbit of info makes the entire film seem like that much more of a true achievement. I mean, for a sec imagine Raimi smashing plates on his head and doing flips and punching his own face, take after take and then jumping behind the camera. Hilarious a dang acheivemnt.
The synopsis for Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell goes like this:
Body builder Shinji meets his ex-girlfriend to help with her research on haunted houses. Accompanied by a professional psychic, they visit an abandoned house, where they find themselves trapped and tormented by a ghost with a thirty year grudge.
The special features are incredible on this one. Oh, and the commentary track is worth the price of admission alone. It is bonkers. Oh, plus the set comes with a really cool vintage video store membership card. It is random but really cool. Visual Vengeance has been really great about adding strangely rad items in their sets. For example, Necro Files comes with a condom to protect you from the mutant, killer baby. The LA AIDS Jabber disc comes with a dirty, bloody hypodermic needle. Just random items like that make for that added on special experience for collectors.
The features include:
- Region Free Blu-ray
- Archival 1995 SD master from original tapes
- New Interview with Director Shinichi Fukazawa
- Commentary track featuring directors Adam Green (Hatchet, Frozen) and Joe Lynch (Shudderâs Creepshow, Mayhem)
- Commentary track with Japanese film historian James Harper
- Limited Edition O-Card/ Slipcase
- Special Effects Video
- Original Archival Trailers from Japanese release
- Behind The Scenes Image Gallery
- Archival Image Gallery
- English subtitles or Japanese audio only options
- Dolby Digital Audio
- DTS-HD master audio
- Folded mini-poster
- Four Page Liner notes by Matt Desiderio of Horror Boobs
- âStick your ownâ video store sticker sheet
- Vintage style Laminated Video Store Rental Card
- Visual Vengeance Trailers
- Reversible Sleeve featuring original Japanese home video art
Head over to MVD Entertainment Group’s page to order your Collector’s edition of Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell.